Snug here with an important announcement about Operation Hardcore.
After careful consideration (and several “consideration beers”) we’ve decided to switch our focus: initially we had been hoping to release OH on the Wii U first, however, we’ve come to the realization that an initial release on Windows/PC is really the way to go.
What does this mean? Well, it’s actually good news, for several reasons:
- it allows us to deliver the game sooner than we would be able to on console, since we don’t need to go through any sort of third-party mastering/validation process
- it allows us to move away from “gamepad only” and explore alternate control schemes, such as keyboard/mouse
- it gives us much more control over selling the game. We can use services like Humble Bundle, Steam, etc.
- depending on sales, it allows to raise funds to ultimately purchase console dev kit(s) and/or garner interest from indie programs like id@xbox
So, as it stands, our plan is looking something like this:
- Get the Humble Bundle widget up so we can start accepting pre-orders (done, see below!)
- Submit to Steam Greenlight (done, right here!)
- Release a demo (likely PC as well as web–we want to make this as accessible as possible) (July/August time frame)
- Go live with the full game by the end of the year. If we’re Greenlit by that time we will provide Steam keys for anyone who pre-ordered the game.
Thanks for your support–we look forward to releasing the demo, we know you’ll love it!